Want your paintings to stand out in the dark? Then a glow in the dark paint for painting can help.
These paints have glow pigments that absorb the light and emit it slowly to produce the glow, but not all glow paints work well for painting.
Different glow paints have a different consistency, some are thick while others can be thin.
But for painting, we need glow paint that is smooth and easy to apply, and for that, we need paint with good consistency.
But the question is – How will you find a good glow paint for painting?
With hundreds of glow in the dark paint in the market proclaiming to the best, finding a good one is like looking for a needle in the haystack. But don’t worry I got you.
After testing tens of glow paints, I have selected the top three that have the right balance of quality, glow, and consistency.
So, you don’t need to waste your time and money getting the wrong paint. Just select the one from here and it will work wonders.
Below is a quick view of all the three paints.
3. Aurora Bright Green Glow in the Dark Paint For Painting
If you want the brightest glow in the dark paint that when charged can glow for hours, then nothing can beat Aurora. With a glow time of up to 8 hours, it’s a very impressive paint.
It is made from top-grade europium-doped aluminate oxide pigments that can charge themselves quickly and glow for hours with seconds of charge.
Unlike most glow paints, it has a very thick consistency. The paint is more like a paste than water-based paint, but it’s really smooth. It isn’t gritty or sandy like other glow paints.
Even when seen closely, all you observe is a smooth layer of paint. Now, since we need it for painting, we don’t want a paste as it may not adhere well.
To make it more like water-based, you need to mix it with an acrylic thinner or few drops of water. Once diluted, it’s ready to use.
Remember, don’t put excess much water or thinner, otherwise, the glow may decrease. Have a balance. Its made thick for a reason.
Now, like every glow paint, you have to apply it thickly on the surface. Have like 4-5 coats to see the best effect.
Once applied, wait for all the layers to dry. Even though it glows when wet, I would recommend letting it dry before use. That will make sure it stays permanently.
It dries off white/cream color which isn’t that visible in the day if you are painting on a white surface, but when in the dark this almost invisible paint glows like an orb.
But how bright and long it glows depends on the thickness and charge. As recommended, if you had 4-5 coats, then all you need is a proper charge.
Now, this paint doesn’t have batteries inside that make it glow, instead, it absorbs light and emits it slowly to give the glow. So, the better you charge, the better it emits.
There are a lot of good sources out there you can use, like Direct sunlight, lamplight, LED light, and Blacklight. The strongest of all is a Blacklight. It can literally charge the paint in seconds.
Here is the blacklight I use, you can give it a try. If not, then stick with an LED light, its a bit good.
Aurora is available in two colors(Green & Blue) and two sizes.(20ml & 50ml). Since you are painting, I would recommend the bigger size and Bright Green color.
Remember, not to apply it on skin or hair. However, if some of it fell on the skin then wash it asap. It’s non-toxic and non-flammable so is completely safe, but it hard to clean once dry.
With this bottle, you get the Lifetime access to the exclusive SpaceBeams VIP Stencils Membership. Now, it’s a great deal, isn’t it?
- Glows brightly for hours
- Dries clear, especially on white surface
- Can be used on many surfaces
- Multiple sizes and color option
- Access to exclusive SpaceBeams VIP Stencils Membership
- Little thick, have to dilute it
- Very Strong/Vivid Bright Green Fluorescence (off white/cream color in daylight)
- Glows ALL NIGHT after a 10 second light charge (UV flashlight is best!)
- Included: Lifetime Access To The Exclusive VIP Stencils Membership - Easily Create Professional Looking Wall Art!
2. Premium Artist’s Acrylic Glow in The Dark Paint For Painting
From the name itself, you must have noticed that its made for artists. This glow paint is fantastic for arts and crafts and provides the best value-for-money.
Unlike other glow paints, it offers 1 oz(30ml) of paint, and that too at a relatively cheaper price. This much of paint is good for most of your crafts.
The paint has a great consistency, just the one you needed for painting. So, you don’t need to dilute it like the previous paint. Just open it and its ready for use.
But before you start using, I would recommend taking it outside and placing it under direct sunlight for a few minutes and then using it. Doing so activates all the glow pigments and ensure their glow.
This paint is made using premium acrylic paint and strontium aluminate glow powder that balances the consistency and glow. It ensures that it adheres well and glow for hours.
And it actually does that. If charged right, it can glow brightly for up to 6 hours which is a lot more than the standard glow time of these paints.
Now, this paint is available in five colors which is a plus point for serious painters as you guys can have a colorful painting. And since its cheap, you can bag a few without emptying your wallet.
Before you get any color, let me clarify one thing. All the paints look neutral in the day but glows a specific color in the dark. So all the color bottles will look the same until the dark arrives.
And No you won’t be confused as to which color you are painting since every bottle has a label of color name on-top. And even if you do, just give them a charge for like 30 seconds, and they will glow in their colors for long.
Since its a neutral color in the day, you can either use it as paint or as a coat to embellish your other paintings. Both are good.
Apart from painting, you can also use it on fabric, metal, glass, wood, concrete, etc., thanks to its consistency. And don’t worry, it’s non-toxic and non-radioactive, so is completely safe to use.
Now, when applying, have it thick to see the best effect. Since its a thin paint, you must have like 4-5 coats for the best glow. But remember with these many coats, it dries translucent.
Once dry, you need to charge it using a good light. These include sunlight, lamplight, LED light and Blacklight. For the best glow, I personally recommend a Blacklight.
It just produces an amazing glow, and believe me, you won’t regret getting it. I use this blacklight torch, you can give it a try, otherwise stick with an LED, it’s also good.
Well, I love this paint and believe you will too, but if you don’t, then you got a 30 day, 100% money-back guarantee.
- Great consistency
- Glows up to 6 hours with a minute of charge
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- Can be used on many surfaces
- Value for money
- Glow in the dark acrylic paint from Art ‘N Glow, the premier glow in the dark supplier for fine arts, crafts, and DIY projects.
- Each order includes one fluid ounce of glow paint made from premium acrylic paint and strontium aluminate glow powder, the brightest, longest lasting glow in the dark technology available anywhere.
- Our neutral glow paints dry clear for at least the first few coats so they are great for embellishing traditional paintings. Please check out the pictures for examples of what is possible with our...
1. Neon Nights 2 in 1 Glow in the Dark Paint For Painting
For an artist, color matters a lot, but since most glow paints are sold in a single color, you either have to purchase each color separately or paint with a single color.
Of course, getting more colors can be a bit costly, but not anymore. With this glow in the dark paint from Neon Nights, you get a set of 8 vivid colors at a cheap price.
These include Pink, Blue, Orange, White, Red, Yellow, Green, and Purple. Personally, I feel Orange, Red, and Pink are little dim while Blue is the brightest.
Each bottle has around 0.7 fl oz, and you get like eight bottles, which means you have enough paint for most of your craft.
Unlike other glow paints, it has high pigmentation which means they are visible in the day. So, you don’t need a separate set of colors to paint, just grab this one and start the work.
They look like acrylic paint in the day but glow like an orb in the dark. Now, let me clarify why it’s 2-in-1 paint.
This paint is a hybrid of Phosphorescent and Fluorescent paints which gives them the qualities of both. They can charge themselves and glow in the dark and/or can glow under a UV blacklight.
So, you can use it anyway. Personally, I would recommend having a Blacklight as it consistently charges and make it fluoresce. For this paint, I recommend this Blacklight bar.
These paints are hand-crafted in Germany and have a quality standard check, so you can be assured of good quality.
But if somehow you received a defective piece, you can replace or refund it without any hassle. All the paints are non-toxic and completely safe to use indoors and outdoors.
Yes, so you can use it outdoors as its compatible with most surfaces. So, once you are done with your painting, you can apply it to other surfaces. If you are using it outdoors like on the stones, then do a layer of clear nail polish for longevity.
Now for applying, its the same concept i.e. Apply it thickly to get the best effect, and have around 4-5 layers. I wouldn’t recommend charging these paints until are the layers are completely dry.
When wet, they don’t glow as expected, so it’s better to let them dry first. Since you are painting, anyhow it will dry before charging, but still, I thought of letting you know.
- Glow brightly especially under Blacklight
- Lot of colors at cheap price
- Money-back guarantee
- 2-in-1 paint
- Compatible on most surfaces
- They don’t hold the glow for long, so a Blacklight is needed
- ★ 2-IN-1 GLOW IN THE DARK AND UV BACK LIGHT PAINT: Unlike similar products on the market, these neon glow paints provide BOTH amazing GLOW IN THE DARK and UV BLACK LIGHT effects, whether indoors or...
- ★ CHARGES IN DAYLIGHT AND GLOWS IN THE DARK: This paint set can be easily charged by exposing it to daylight or normal light bulbs for a while. The glowing neon art you create will then easily be...
- ★ SET OF 8 INTENSE GLOW IN THE DARK COLORS - This self-luminous acrylic paint set includes 8 vivid colors: Pink, Blue, Orange, White, Red, Yellow, Green and Purple. The high pigmentation provides...
Tips For Glow in The Dark Paint For Painting
- Stir the paint well before using it, doing so mixes the glow pigments with the paint.
- For painting, you need glow paint with good consistency, so if yours is thick, mix it with a few drops of water or acrylic thinner.
- The glow of these paints depends on the thickness and charge, the more the better.
- Have multiple coats, at least 4-5 to see the best effect.
- Charging is its crucial part, do so with a powerful light like Blacklight to make it fluoresce long.
- These paints work extremely well on light surfaces, so if you are painting on a dark surface, do a white primer beforehand, and then use these paints.
- Don’t mix a glow paint with acrylic colors and other glow paints.
FAQ For Glow in The Dark Paint For Painting
How do I make my painting glow in the dark?
To make your painting glow, you need a glow in the dark paint that has the right consistency, quality and glow. The glow paint with good consistency adheres well and makes your painting stands out in the dark.
You have to apply the paint thickly and charge it using a good light to see it fluoresce. But the first part is choosing a glow paint, and here I have listed the top 3, you can give them a look and choose the one you like.
What kind of paint glows in the dark?
Glow in the dark paints glows in the dark. These paints are made by mixing glow pigments with premium acrylic paint that gives it the quality of both the elements.
Like acrylic paints, it’s easy to apply, but like glow pigments, it flouresces in the dark. These glow pigments absorb the light to charge themselves, and once charged they emit the charge slowly thus giving a glow-like effect.
Why isn’t my glow in the dark paint glowing?
If you have one of the three listed here, then there are three things you can do. First, make sure that you are painting on a light surface and not dark.
Second, check whether you have applied it thickly or not. Having like 4-5 coats is recommended. And third, make sure you have charged it properly with a good source.
If sunlight or LED light doesn’t work, then use a Blacklight, and it will surely glow.
Does glow in the dark paint work on Painting?
Oh Yes, that’s why they are called “glow in the dark” paint. As I said earlier, these paints have glow pigments that absorb light and emit it slowly to make it glow.
The thicker you apply, the more pigments get on the painting thus giving a much better glow.
Hold on painters, its the end of the article, not your imagination. In this article, I talked about the best glow in the dark paints for painting. Using these paints you can create dazzling artworks that stand out in the dark. Honestly, it wasn’t easy to write all this, so I would really appreciate it if you share it with your friends and family.