Want to have a dead-on aim in the dark? A glow in the dark paint can help.
Glow paint, a.k.a. Phosphorescent paint has special phosphors that can glow for long with minutes of charge, which helps you have a precise aim in the dark.
These phosphors store the light and later emit it slowly, thus giving a glow effect. If you are curious, you can check how glow paint works, but for now, let’s move on.
Now, it was how they work, but if that’s true, then why some paints work better than the others? For a glow paint to work, four things matter a lot – Thickness, surface, quality, and charging.
Thickness is universal for all glow paints in the world. No phosphorescent paint can glow well with one layer; you have to apply multiple depending on the area. The second thing is the surface, which is a crucial one.
Maybe not everyone knows it, so let me make it as simple as possible. There are two types of surface – Porous and Non-porous, and each of them demands a different consistency(thickness of paint).
For instance, a thin paint won’t work best on a porous material like Paper, and vice-versa. Reason? It won’t stick properly. That’s why the surface is crucial. And quality is, of course, the quality of the paint.
Like, there are so many glow paints in the market, then why one glow better than the other with the same treatment? Quality, my friend. And finally, we need a better light source to charge these paints.
After taking all these things into consideration, I tested tons of glow paints to find the best ones. And I am finally done with the top three. Remember, these are tried and tested paints, not something I picked up from the internet.
While performing the tests, I had expectations on many paints that didn’t work out, like Aurora, which, if you don’t know, is the best glow in the dark paint for almost everything.
So, let’s first have a quick view, then we will move to individual review.
As I said, charging is crucial, and there is nothing better than a blacklight. I personally use the one below, just give it a try, believe me, it’s worth every penny. And it will save a lot of time.
- 3 AA Standard Alkiline Battery(Not Included), Rechargeable battery is not recommended!
- 51 UV LED allow to cover a larger area.Emits 390 to 395 nanometer wavelength.
- Perfect for outside use such as finding scorpions and minerals!
3. Gun Glow Phosphorescent Gun Sight Paint
Glow Gunsight is an excellent option for those wanting an easy-to-use paint that adheres well to smooth metal and plastic gun sights.
For the unknown, Glow Gun is an innovative gun sight paint that’s achieved after 60 formulations. You get 5 ml paint, which is more than double the standard gun sight paint, i.e., 2.3 ml.
It’s effortless to use thanks to dropper top applicator that increases the accuracy and avoid any wastage of the paint.
It can be directly applied, so no wastage of time. Unlike other paints, you don’t need any stick or brush, so no mess will be created.
Once you apply, it takes around 4 hours to dry completely.
It dries clear and isn’t really noticeable in the daylight. You may not see it in the day, but its vivid glow will pop out in the dark.
Remember, just like every other glow in the dark paint, you have to apply it thickly to see the best glow.
Personally, I will suggest you have around 1-2 mm thick layer for the best glow. Since the paint is very thick, this much of thickness may form in a single coat.
However, remember, thicker the coat, better the glow. So, you can have more coats for a better glow.
If you find it difficult to apply such a thick paint, then you can use a few drops of distilled water to thin it: this way, its a lot easier to use.
This paint fluoresces brightly depending on the layer, surface, and charge.
If you have it thick and charge it well with a powerful light like LED or Blacklight, then it can glow for an hour or so.
Personally, I charged it for 2 minutes using LED light and observed it being super bright for a few minutes, then brighter than tritium for several minutes and then a slow decay for a couple of hours.
Pro Tip – Paint the surface with white color and then apply this paint for the best and longest glow.
You may not see it glowing more than an hour if you aren’t in complete darkness. Remember, this paint isn’t tritium and cannot match its duration of glow in any way.
If you don’t have an LED light, then you can use a Blacklight or sunlight. Both work fantastically.
Once applied, it will stay for long as its waterproof, heatproof, non-flammable, non-radioactive, and have no heavy metals, so its completely safe to use.
Users really love that its easy to apply, dry clear, glows brightly, and charge quickly, but expected the bottle to be a little bigger for the price.
- Adheres well to Metal and plastic sights
- Paint is enough for multiple uses
- Easy to use, no wastage and accurate
- Glows brightly
- Completely safe to use
- Charge doesn’t hold for long.
- Glow in the dark gun sight paint.Gun Glow is the brightest, fastest charging and most durable gun sight paint. Gun Glow adheres to smooth metal and plastic gun sights.
- Gun Glow gun sight paint is not tritium and cannot match tritium in terms of duration of glow. Gun Glow gun sight paint is a low-cost enhancement to your sights. Your paint will require charging with...
- Gun Glow will glow for a half an hour to an hour in low light conditions dependent on your vision and ambient light. It will aid in your ability to acquire your sights in no light conditions for...
Want a glow in the dark paint specially made for Gunsights? Then this paint from Glow on is the perfect choice.
Made from high-quality material, this paint has twice the glow particles than other paints, which makes it glow bright. The high glowing pigments make it a bit gritty, but that’s not a problem.
Once you apply the paint, you can do a layer of clear nail paint to make it smooth, shiny, and weatherproof.
This paint glows very brightly, depending on the thickness and charge.
If you have multiple coats and charge it well, then it can fluoresce for upto an hour. But make sure to charge it using a strong source like an LED light or a Blacklight for at least 2-3 minutes.
For thickness, I will personally recommend having at least five coats to get the best effect. But its easier said than done.
Each layer takes around 2 hours to dry, and since you have to make five coats, you have to wait for ten hours before its perfect ready for use.
Pro tip – I have seen it fluoresces far better and longer on a white surface, so if your sight isn’t white, then paint it white, and use your paint over it. After that, you can have a clear nail coat to get a weatherproof coating.
Unlike other paints, it dries opaque, thus having perfect coverage. And don’t worry, its non-toxic, non-flammable, and non-radioactive, so its completely safe to use.
Users really love that its easy to apply, shine bright and charge quickly, but hates that the glow doesn’t last long.
What if I didn’t like it?
Well, thousands of people have loved it, but still, if you don’t like it, then use the 100% guaranteed to work or your money back to return it.
- Specially made for gun sights
- Glows really bright
- Twice the glow particles than usual
- 100% guarantee to work or money back
- Glow doesn’t last long.
- Most Popular. Glow-On Original 2.3 ml small vial.Glow-On super Phosphorescent, Paint or Film offers the brightest glow available for firearms and other small projects available online. The perfect...
- Super Concentrated:Twice the glow particles than the competition and half the amount of binders. Professional grade. Super opaque means perfect coverage, it contains its own primer.
- First time buyer? Get the GLOW-ON ORIGINAL, Paint or film unless you are set on a specific COLOR. Any light source charges the glow almost instantly. The glow cycle can be repeated millions of times...
1. Premium Artist’s Glow in The Dark Paint
Want a value-for-money glow in the dark paint? Then hands down, nothing can beat this paint from Art ’N Glow.
Most of the gun sight paints offer 2-5ml paint, but here you get 30 ml of glowing paint, and that too at a relatively lower price.
So, with one product, you can have multiple uses. And don’t worry its non-toxic and non-radioactive, so it is completely safe to use.
Its made using premium acrylic paint and strontium aluminate glow powder that makes it durable and helps it glow for hours after charge.
Even though the paint looks colored( in the picture), its actually clear, only when it glows does it show that color, otherwise its more of translucent.
When you apply it on your gun sight, it dries clear and is hardly visible in the day, but glows brightly in the dark.
It glows really bright for hours, depending on the charge and surface. This paint, like other glow-in-the-dark paints, glows better on light surfaces.
So, I would recommend you to paint the gun sight with white paint or some other light color, and then apply this paint. This way, it will fluoresce well for hours.
Most importantly, make sure to give it a good charge. There are a couple of things that charge well like sunlight, LED light, lamplight, but for this paint, I would recommend a Blacklight.
With 5 minutes of charge with a blacklight, it can glow for six hours. Remember, thicker the paint, and the more the charge, the better the glow.
I would recommend having at least 3-5 coats for a good glow. Of course, you can increase the coats if you want.
What if I didn’t like it? Well, you have 30 days 100% money-back guarantee, so you can easily return it.
- More paints than standard gun sight paint
- Can be used on other surfaces too
- Completely safe to use
- Glows upto 6 hours
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- Nothing really
- Glow in the dark acrylic paint from Art ‘N Glow, the premier glow in the dark supplier for fine arts, crafts, and DIY projects.
- Each order includes one fluid ounce of glow paint made from premium acrylic paint and strontium aluminate glow powder, the brightest, longest lasting glow in the dark technology available anywhere.
- Our neutral glow paints dry clear for at least the first few coats so they are great for embellishing traditional paintings. Please check out the pictures for examples of what is possible with our...
Tips for Glow In The Dark Paint For Gun Sights
- Like every glow in the dark paints, you have to apply it thick for the best effect
- The most important thing is the charge, do it with a strong light like LED
- Have a LED box or something that charges your Gunsight frequently
- If your paint is too thick, then use some drops of distilled water to thin it
- Apply a clear coat over the paint for longevity and better glow
- Paint your gun sight with white color prior to applying the paint as these paints fluoresce on lighter surfaces
- Before applying a coat, let the previous one dry. Patience is the key
What kind of paint do you use on gun sights?
We use a glow in the dark paint on gun sights as it makes it glow in the dark. Using these paints, you can accurately aim in the dark. With a charge of mere minutes, you can have glow for hours, which is perfect if you are going outside in the dark.
How long does glow in the dark paint glow for?
It depends on the thickness and charge of the paint. If you have multiple coats and charge your glow in the dark paint with a powerful source like Blacklight or LED light, then it can glow for hours without losing its shine.
What is the best color for gun sights paint?
A color that naturally has the tendency to glow like Neon is no doubt the best color for gun sights. Such a color, when mixed with glow pigments, will produce a long and brighter glow. You can also use some other colors like Aqua, etc.
Finally, its the end. In this article, I talked about the best glow in the dark paints for gun sights. These paints are easy to apply, clean clear, and glow brightly. If you like this article, then do share it with your friends and family.